Sunday, September 15, 2013

First week in Garden Cove Springs

Meagan arrived in Florida this week, here are some excerpts from her e-mail:

I love Florida! It is so beautiful here. The town that we are living in is called Green Cove Springs, and it reminds me of Logan, but it is more green. Apparently the Fountain of Youth is located here :) I could do without the bugs, but I guess I can just deal with that. Our apartment is super nice, It is a loft style home, and has a small spiral staircase that leads to the bedroom upstairs. It isn't super large, but we do have a washer and dryer, so we don't have to take time on P-day to find a place to do our laundry, which gives us almost 2 extra hours to do whatever we want. Today we are going to explore the town and go to the park. I feel like I should be in Princess and the Frog with the scenery around here, it is awesome. Missionary work never ceases to surprise me. Every person you talk to is different, and you have to change everything you teach when you start talking to someone else. It is crazy, but the Lord knows everyone and he knows what they need I just have to work on making sure the spirit can speak through me. 

So my companion, Sister Davidson, it pretty much amazing. We get along incredibly well and we are really similar personality wise. I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed me with a good companion, because I don't know if I could handle a bad companion for my first transfer. 

Sister Davidson and I are opening our area and we really have nothing to go on. We found out that there hasn't been any sisters here for over 18 years. We have spent the majority of the last four days compiling our ward roster and creating a map of where people are. We have a wonderful ward mission leader, Brother Barker, and he is super prepared. He gave us everything we needed and more. I don't think I will go hungry anytime soon because we have dinners scheduled almost every night this month. The people here are great, and they all have a beautiful southern drawl when they speak. So we live in this condo that is on the banks of the St. John's river. It is incredibly gorgeous. We are just getting settled and we still don't have bed frames so we just stacked our mattresses on the floor, but hey it works. The lizards here are as numerous as grasshoppers back home, and I have been trying to catch one everyday, but I have had no such luck. I did catch a frog though. Every morning we go jogging to our neighbors pier and we get to watch the sunrise, it is amazing! Also I am driving the car, which is crazy, but the Elders gave us their GPS so that we don't get lost. The poor guys are on bikes, because we don't have enough cars for them. ...

So this week when we stopped by a realty office to sign some papers for the church, the receptionist was like "So you guys are the latter-day saints," he yells back to his boss, "Kathy your saints are here" and then he started smoking on his e-cigarette and kept calling us saints and what not, and it was weird, the end. So that was my first weird reaction to missionaries, but I am sure there will be plenty more to come. ... 

Friday we were privileged to go to a Relief Society fireside and Sister Burton, The Relief Society General President spoke to us.  Sunday our ward had Stake Conference and they were reorganizing the Stake Presidency, so we heard from two members of the Seventy. I am still adjusting to life as a missionary and I am still slightly terrified of talking to people, but I have gotten much better at it and I have even shared a few messages that didn't crash and burn. Sister Davidson is awesome and we get along fantastically, which is a big relief, and she always tells me how good I am doing, which makes me feel so much better. I can't wait until I can be a really good missionary, but I hear that doesn't happen until about 17 months out :)
 Meagan by a tree with spanish moss in their church parking lot.


 View of St. Jon's River
Another view of the St. John's River

No comments:

Post a Comment