Monday, April 28, 2014

I can't wait for Mother's Day

I am so excited for Mother's day as well! Can you believe the time that has flown by since Christmas. It feels like yesterday that we skyped, and now we get to do it again! Only 13 more days! 
So this week has been fairly mundane. We have knocked so many doors my knuckles should be bruised by now. I heard the greatest description of tracting when we were at dinner with a member a few weeks ago. "Tracting is just something that you do to prove to the Lord that you are willing to do anything to find new investigators." It is so true. We are putting in the time, just like every missionary before us, to show the Lord that we are doing our part to find those who are ready to hear the gospel. We did see a miracle this week with tracting though, we pulled up to a neighborhood and the very first door we knocked on opened. A young mother was there and she invited us right in! She said that she had been looking for a church, and had just gotten off leave for the navy. She had been stationed on the ship the Gettysburg for 9 months and had just gotten home last week. We asked her if she knew a navy chaplin who lives in the ward next to ours who had also been on that ship (it was weird, the spirit totally had that one, because I had only heard of him from Sister Davidson in passing because she was there when their ward fare welled the Gettysburg). She knew exactly who he was and she got really excited that he was a member of our church. We talked to her about the Book of Mormon and the Restoration, she thought it was all very interesting, and agreed to come to church. It was amazing, I have never had anyone let me into their home like that.
This "quarter" our mission has been focusing on using the Book of Mormon in every finding and teaching moment. We are participating in a 90 day read of the Book of Mormon and we are sharing our "aha" moments with President and Sister Craig through our weekly emails. One of my "aha" moments came last week when I realized how much the Book of Mormon brings the Spirit into our lives. Just by reading it the Spirit subconsciously helps us make better decisions in our lives. I have really seen that with our investigators Heidi, Tom, Sam, and Kate. We have challenged them to read the Book of Mormon five minutes a day. They have been reading for the past three weeks and there have been such changes to their lives. They are starting to live more of the commandments without even knowing it. They have more patience one with another. They have more love for one another. I think that is one of the largest reasons we are told to have family scripture study each day, because even if we do it grudgingly, the Spirit makes its way into our hearts and minds. We make better decisions and we grow closer together as we read as a family.
Today we are going to the Zoo! I hear it is 20 times better than the Hoggle Zoo, and we get to feed Giraffes! So expect some cool pictures next week! I am seriously so grateful to be able to have done so much while I have been out here. It really gets me through the weeks. I love to experience things and make memories of Florida! It is so beautiful here! We are going to have to take a family trip here one day. It is definitely getting HOT here! I don't know how I am going to make it through the summer. The humidity is seriously messing with my hair :)
Anyway, I love you all! I can't wait to see all of your beautiful faces! We will coordinate next week for a time that will work best for both of us! I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment